If you spend any amount of time in your kitchen, there’s a good chance that you have a wide array of spices at your disposal. Among the garlic, thyme, and cumin you’ll most likely find a bit of chili powder or cayenne pepper stirred up in the mix. While most people think that chili powder and cayenne pepper are two entirely different things, you’ll be surprised to find out that they have a bit more in common than most people believe. If you’re an avid amateur chef, then keep reading to learn what the differences between these two spices are, and how you can incorporate them into some delicious meals for your friends and family.
The Main Difference Between Cayenne Pepper And Chili Powder
The first thing that you need to realize is that cayenne pepper powder is actually a chili powder. In fact, it’s entirely comprised of chili powder. When you purchase a bottle of chili powder from the store it most likely has ground up cayenne pepper in it mixed with other spice like cumin or oregano. So the main difference between cayenne pepper and chili powder is the fact that chili powder has other spices mixed in with the cayenne pepper.
If you’re looking to spice things up while you’re cooking, then you should consider using cayenne pepper as your chili powder. Of course, you have to keep in mind the fact that peppers can drastically enhance the taste of your food. With that being said, keep reading to discover some delicious recipes that include cayenne pepper in them!
Spicy Roasted Vegetables
- Potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Granulated garlic
- Ground black pepper
Spice amounts differ according to taste.
Preheat the over to 420 degrees.
1. Mix all of the spices in a bowl until they are combined.
2. Take your potato wedges and rub them down with olive oil. Sprinkle them with the spices.
3. Toss the potatoes until they are fully coated in the spices.
4. Spread over a baking sheet and cook in the center of your microwave oven for 30-40 minutes.
5. Stir the potatoes every so often to prevent them from burning.
1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, add more or less to taste
2 batches of Faux Puff Pastry
1 large egg, beaten with a tablespoon of distilled water
Salt added to your taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine the Parmesan cheese, paprika and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
3. Divide the Faux Puff Pastry in half. Roll one of the halves into a 12- x 24-inch rectangle. Make sure that it’s ⅛-inch thick. Brush the surface with some of the egg mixture.
4. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the other half of the rectangle.
5. Fold the other side over to make a 12-inch square.
6. Roll lengthwise until the two halves are able to stick together. Repeat these steps with the rest of the dough.
7. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the rectangles across into ¾-inch wide x 12-inch-long strips.
8. Twist the ends of each strip in opposite directions in order to make a spiral.
9. Place each of the twists onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
10. Use the egg mixture to brush the tops. Sprinkle with salt.
11. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.
Beef Stew In Spicy Berbere Sauce
2 medium onions, quartered lengthwise
¼ cup butter
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon fenugreek
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cardamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 can of crushed tomatoes in puree
¼ cup dry red wine
2 ½ pounds boned beef chuck, trim the fat and cut into ¾ chunks
1. Using a food processor, pulse the onions until they are almost pureed.
2. Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir until they’re brown. This should take approximately ten minutes.
3. Add in the ginger, paprika, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, fenugreek, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and cardamon. Stir until the mixture becomes fragrant.
4. Add in the tomatoes, wine, and beef. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
5. Cover, reduce heat and simmer. Make sure to stir the mixture every so often. Cook until the beef is tender. This should take two hours.
6. Add in your salt for taste.
Goan Duck Vindaloo In Hot-And-Sour Cayenne Sauce
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
½ teaspoon black peppercorns
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅓ cup white wine vinegar
2 pounds skinless/boneless duck breast halves
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 ½ cups minced fresh onion
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup of water
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 pound small red potatoes, cut them into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon of sugar
1. Combine the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black peppercorn, and fenugreek seeds in a spice grinder. Blend them until the mixture is turned into a powder.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, red pepper, ginger, and cinnamon. Add in the vinegar. Stir the mixture until everything is combined nicely.
3. Place the vinegar mixture and the duck into a large zip-lock plastic bag. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for at least four hours.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the onion. Saute for six minutes or until browned.
5. Add in the coriander and turmeric. Saute for one minute.
6. Add the duck to the pan. Cook for three minutes on each side.
7. Stir in the water, tomato paste, salt, and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
8. Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the duck is fully cooked and the potatoes are tender.
9. Remove the pan from the heat and take the duck out of the pan.
10. Cut the duck diagonally into ½-inch-wide slices.
11. Add sugar to the pan. Stir to combine. Return the duck to the pan. Stir to combine.
As you can clearly see, you can most certainly make some delicious meals for the entire family using cayenne pepper. As we mentioned before, spicy peppers can greatly change the taste of food, so make sure that you taste your food as you go along. As long as you pay attention to the amount of cayenne pepper that you’re using, then you should have no issues seasoning your food in just the right way. If you’re unsure of how much cayenne pepper you should use, then start with a small amount. You can always add more cayenne pepper if you’re unsatisfied with the taste, but you can’t take away the pepper if you use too much. Take these recipes and your newfound knowledge of cayenne pepper and have yourself some creating culinary masterpieces fit for a king!