Owning a steam mop can make it easier to keep your carpet or tiles looking and smelling fresh and clean, especially if you have children or pets. A steam cleaner can be a great investment, so you’ll want to buy the best vaporizer with your money and the one that best suits your needs.
Originally designed and produced in South Korea in 1998, a steam mop is a special kind of mop which harnesses the power of steam to clean and disinfect hard surfaces.
The working mechanism of this contraption is simple enough – you have a tank of water, a heater, and then a single or multiple jets helping disperse the steam onto the pad which then comes in contact with the surface.
Other than its effectiveness in the department of cleaning hard floors from dirt and dust, steam mops are also well-known and beloved for their capacity to get rid of mites, make the floor in question shiny, and also kill off up to 99% of bacteria found on the floor.
In this article, we’ll present to you 10 different steam mop models, so that you can pick and choose to your desired one.
Top 10 Steam Cleaning Mops Reviews
Boasting a floral company logo and a sleek build that reminds of a modernized vacuum cleaner, the Power Fresh Steam Mop from Bissell is a contraption that can kill up to 99.99 % of bacteria and germs, and do so in grand fashion, as well.
When it comes to actually using this steam mop to get rid of some stains, the deal couldn’t be simpler. There are three levels of steam cleaning you can choose from, and these are: low, medium, and high. As is the case with many other steam mop brands, this cleaning tool also doesn’t utilize any chemicals as it only uses the power of heated water to do its magic.
This, however, doesn’t mean that you can’t enhance your cleaning experience, as the design of this contraption enables you to insert specialized scented discs into the pad. These then leave a soothing fragrance wherever the mop passes. You get two of these discs as a part of the offer, but there’s also a possibility to buy a larger batch of these containing 8 discs. (This option will save you some money in the long run.)
- 3 Levels of steam intensity
- Comes with 2 spring fragrance wash discs
- Scented water
- Works on hardwood, ceramic, linoleum, and granite & marble
- Kills off 99.99 % of all floor bacteria
Excellent for apartments! It stands out for its cleaning power in three main areas: stain removal, disinfection and deodorization of spaces. Economically accessible if it is compared with other models, not only those mentioned in this note. It has a digital steam control function with intelligent configuration, allows to choose the appropriate steam configuration (low, medium or high) to perform the job effectively.
You’ll have to buy extra microfiber pads
If you’re on a lookout for a simple and easy-to-use cleaning contraption for hard surfaces, this here little device can be just the product you need. Its lightweight design and a highly-movable swiveling head allow for maximum ‘handling points’, so to speak, while not compromising on weight and price.
Indeed, its lightweight design is one of its biggest pluses, and since it’s also paired up with an efficient heater, it’s not difficult to see why this particular apparatus was one of the most popular ones in the recent years. From the moment you flick it on, the heater will heat the water to the designated temperature within 20 seconds, and you can start using it immediately after this action has been completed.
- Lightweight construction
- Excellent maneuverability
- Comes with a single washable and easy-to-remove pad
- Works on a variety of hard floors
- Kid & pet-friendly
- Power: 1550 watts.
- Weight: 4 lbs.
- Mop Base: 10.5*6 inch
- Accessories: 1 Washable Pads
Facilitates floor cleaning a lot, its steam times are long lasting and easy to maneuver.
The instructions on the device can be confusing, you will need a little patience to learn how to use it correctly.
3. BISSELL – Spinwave Powered Hardwood Mop and Cleaner
The second product from the BISSELL company on this list comes in the shape of this 2039A hardwood cleaner. It’s power rating stands at 0.9 Amps – more than enough to tackle most home hardwood floor surfaces. As far as the water tank is concerned, it’s capacity amounts to 28 ounces.
If you have various types of floors in your house, this BISSELL contraption can tackles that, as well. Namely, the manufacturers made sure to include two different types of pads to accommodate for the cleaning requirements for different sorts of floor. For example, if you want to take care of some small smudge or dust, you can use the soft pad.
In case you’ve managed to spill something sticky and otherwise hard-to-remove, you can pop on (meaning on the steam mop, not yourself) a scrubby, turn the steam on, et voila! – watch the spillage disappear before ye very eyes! The pads are completely washable, as well, so you won’t have to buy a bunch of them every month or so.
- Comes with a convenient spray triggering mechanism
- Quiet operation
- Comes with two different types of pads (both are washable)
- A single multi-purpose formula can take care of a variety of stains
4. SharkNinja – Shark Genius Hard Floor Cleaning System
Coming from a company with a rather interesting name, this hard floor cleaning system represents a contraption that can easily take on greasy and messy areas on your floor, as long as the surface is hard and not carpeted, of course.
Perhaps the most interesting thing about this device is its intelligent steam control option allowing you to set the amount of steam that the muzzle will let out. This means the water in the reservoir will probably last longer, so you won’t have to replenish it too often.
When it comes to actually handling this machine, there are certain mechanisms in place, so to speak, which are there to help you facilitate using it. For example, the pad-replacing mechanism doesn’t require you to actually touch the dirty pad you’re about to replace. Also, doing the cleaning itself is easy because there is a button allowing you to set the steam levels to three different levels, depending on the severity of the stain.
- Washable, dual-sided grip pads
- Touch-free dirty pad replacement
- Comes with a spray bottle with the cleaning solution
- Steam blaster enables you to target stuck-on stains
- An ultra-wide cleaning zone
5. BISSELL – PowerFresh Steam Mop + Spring Fresh Scented Demineralized Water
Yet another product from the already well-known Bissell company comes in the shape of this Power Fresh Steam Mop + A Scented Demineralized Water combo. As you can see, there are two products in this deal, so you won’t have to buy an additional scented water bottle later on.
Similarly to the other steam mops solutions manufactured by the BISSELL folks, this concoction also comes ready with three different types of settings – low, medium, and high, so you can set it up anyway you like. For example, if you’re dealing with a particularly tough stain, flipping to the ‘high’ setting will allow you to get rid of the mess quickly and easily. On the other hand, if it’s just a thin layer of dust you’re facing, simply sweeping the area with your steam mop set at ‘low’ will most likely suffice.
Thanks to the inclusion of the spring fresh scented demineralized water addition, your steam mop will leave behind it a refreshing scent of spring, flowers in bloom and other good-smelling stuff.
- Gets rid of up to 99.9% of bacteria on your floor
- Comes with a bottle of demineralized scented water
- Three levels of digital set control
- Works with all hard floors (from granite to ceramic)
6. O-Cedar – Microfiber Steam Mop with Extra Refill
If you’re on a lookout for a sleek-looking contraption that can help you clean hard surfaces quickly and easily, this here little device can be just the cleaning apparatus you’ve been looking for. Its got a stylish design with pronounces black & red tones with only the logo and the washable pad being white. (Of course, the pad’ll be white only until you actually start using it for cleaning.)
The O-Cedar folks made sure that every aspect of this device is designed so that it facilitates an effective and worry-free use. For example, from the moment you plug in this device into your power outlet to the point you cans start using it to remove stains from your floor, there’s only about twenty seconds that you’ll have to stand by for.
There are also steam intensity settings, so you can adapt the amount of steam going through the pad to the value with which you feel the most comfortable for the task at hand. Design-wise, there’s another point of interest we should probably mention here – the triangle head. This shape allows you to easily and effortlessly wedge it in corners and other hard-to-reach surfaces, and pick up the dust, that lasagna you spilt, or some other sort of impurity that can be found on a domestic floor.
- Comes with a special triangle head
- Lightweight design for easy handling
- Different steam intensity settings available
- You get two microfiber kits as a part of this package
- Machine washable
7. BISSELL – Cross Wave Floor and Carpet Cleaner and Wet-Dry Vacuum
The Bissell folks are doing fairly well for themselves, aren’t they? At the spot number 7, we’ve got a pretty interesting contraption that represents a crossover from your standard vacuum cleaner and a modern-day wave floor and carpet cleaner. It’s quite green with some black and white tones, so it sort of looks like one of those Monster energy extreme sports vehicles.
First of all, let’s acknowledge that this contraption seems to work the best on bare floors, but can also perform really well on sealed hard floors and even rugs. Thanks to its unique design, this apparatus performs two crucial floor-cleaning functions at the same time – the multipurpose brush comes in contact with the floor surface in question ‘upsetting’ the dust and other impurities, and the vacuum cleaner part then jumps in and sucks in all the residue.
- Enables you to vacuum and wash your floor at the same time
- Comes with a rugged multi-purpose brush
- Can clean multiple types of floors (from hard floors to carpeted areas)
- Features two separate water tanks (one for the clean water + solution, and the other for the dirty water)
8. SharkNinja – Shark Lift-Away Pro Steam Pocket Mop
SharkNinja’s at it again, folks! This time around, the clever master arts-appreciatin’ ladies and gents at this no doubt illustrious company have decided to create a contraption so weird-looking, that it may as well be considered a sort of representation of a shark, which is half of their name!
It’s got silvery, greyish tones all over, it’s shaped more or less like a shark minus the back fin, and it’s got a mop where its mouth’s supposed to go! (Well, perhaps the mop things wasn’t really the intention there. And we don’t really know how the ‘ninja’ part fits this whole story, to be frank.) Depending on the type of task you’re planning to accomplish with it, this device’s got three different steam intensity settings you can choose from. Also, if the stain at hand is too tough to be tackled by all three levels, you can simply turn the steam blaster on and obliterate it right into the oblivion!
- Removable handheld steamer
- Quick release technology for easy handling
- Comes complete with and inbuilt steam blaster
- Features three different levels of steam intensity
- Two-side grip pads
9. Reliable – Steamboy Pro
With a name as confident-sounding as ‘reliable’, you’re bound to expect a decent product. Well, the folks at Reliable certainly didn’t disappoint with this here entry called the Steamboy Pro. It represents an elaborate 3-in-1 contraption that’s both a steam and scrubbing mop.
First of all, let’s mention its heavy-duty scrubber, which enables you to take on difficult patches of tile with ease. Other than that, there’s a mention-worthy swivel head allowing you to have all the flexibility you need to access tough-to-reach areas you otherwise couldn’t get to.
The built in tank allows you to use this cleaning tool for up to 25 minutes continuously, so you won’t really have to refill it all too often. Once you do need to refill it, removing the tank will be a piece of cake, as its mechanism allows you to take it off quickly and easily. (And reattach it likewise, as well.)
- A large on/off button
- A quick-remove water tank
- Ergonomic handle for easy use
- Allows for up to 25 minutes of use
- A movable 180 degree swivel head
10. BISSELL – Symphony Vac and Steam
Have you ever wished you can play an instrument in a symphonic orchestra and vacuum clean in your room at the same time? Well, this product right here will NOT, in fact, allow you to do that, but it is nevertheless called Symphony Vac, so there’s that at least.
Well, there’s more to Symphony than its sheer name. For example, there’s the 2-in-1 function that allows you to vacuum clean and steam mop your floor at the same time. In this way, you can finish off your sanitizing job more easily and quickly, so you’re free to do other stuff like playing darts, giving your elephant a bath, or exploring the jungle if you live near a jungle.
The heating process for this here contraption from Reliable is quite short – doesn’t take more than 30 seconds grand total.
- Comes with a strong vacuum that sucks in dirt and debris easily
- Mop pads can be changed easily
- Three different types of scented water
- Capable of cleaning a variety of hard floor surfaces
- Easily switch between various functions at a flick of a switch
All things considered, whether you need to tackle a particularly nasty stain you’ve managed to produce, or just want to get rid of some excess dust, a plucky steam mop can take care of that for you quickly and easily. If you bother enough to get a model with a couple of extra features, as well, there’s no doubt that your cleaning sessions will become if not really enjoyable, then at least less stressful and annoying.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST THE BEST STEAM CLEANERS
Steam cleaners are really practical devices to clean any corner of your home, your clothes or your car. Currently you can find in the market a great offer of this type of products with what we give you some tips so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
Type of cleaner
If we see any comparison of steam cleaners on the market, it is easy to distinguish between the two main types that exist today: hand-held models and sled-type models, similar to conventional vacuum cleaners as far as their design is concerned.
In the case of hand-held models, these have the advantage of being easier to carry, so they are suitable for cleaning small corners in the kitchen or bathroom. They are products with deposits and adjusted weights and that must have a good mobility so you can work comfortably in any environment. It is also a cheaper product than almost any sled model.
Regarding these sled models, in this case, the design is similar to that of a conventional vacuum cleaner. The boiler has wheels to move it wherever we want, while the hose has a good size to move it wherever you want, being a product designed to work on large surfaces such as for cleaning floors, textiles and other elements. However, if the supply of accessories is adequate, it is also easy to work in complicated places.
Power and capacity
The second important aspect when it comes to knowing how much a steam cleaner costs, or adapting the purchase to your specific need, is the power and capacity of the product. Two aspects that go hand in hand and that really establish what is the cleaning capacity that we are going to achieve with a given product.
Starting with the power, this is the one that heats the water as it happens with steam irons and other similar products. A high power allows us to heat the water at a higher speed and start cleaning before. This high power also makes it easier to have a constant steam flow and with an adequate grammage, which makes it easier to remove dirt.
For reference, a power of about 600 watts is sufficient for hand-held models, while, in the sled models, it should be around 1,000 watts, for reference. Also check the output pressure of the equipment, because the higher it is, the stronger this steam will come out and more dirt will start. This pressure is measured in power bars.
As a companion to the heating system, we have the water tank, which supplies the same to generate the steam. In this case, the capacity of the deposit marks how long we will be able to clean our home. Again, this capacity depends on the model we are evaluating, being smaller in the hand models and larger in the sled models. In the first, the capacity does not usually reach half a liter, to give also good mobility, while in the sled models this round the liter, although some models reach 3 liters. In this case, it is advisable to choose a capacity appropriate to the specific need for cleaning that you have, to have a greater comfort of use.
The last aspect that we must evaluate, even if we are evaluating an economic steam cleaner, are the accessories that the product incorporates. Among other things, because these accessories are, in many cases, those that give real benefit to the product.
Among these accessories you can not miss different nozzles that help to reach easily the most hidden corners of your home. In this case, we have the concentration nozzles, which intensify the steam output, or the closed brush, of small size, which is used for upholstery.
We must also have accessories with mop or cloth, which help us to clean floors or tiles easily, as well as large pieces, typical of the sled models, with which the cleaning of floors is even easier. By the way, take advantage of this aspect to also review the size of the hose, which in both models should be long enough to move and clean comfortably.
Benefits of steam cleaning
- Low maintenance cost
- Very versatile They can clean various types of surfaces such as glass, tiles, toilets, carpets, etc.
- Many functions In general, most models allow to remove dust, decrease, iron clothes, etc.
- Anti-mites. It is capable of exterminating bacteria and mites permanently, very beneficial aspect for people with allergies.
- Portable model There are models of portable steam vacuum cleaner that has a smaller size and is very manageable to carry out cleaning every day.
Disadvantages of steam cleaning
- It is recommended to eliminate the humidity produced by the steam cleaner. The puddles of moisture produced by this machine can generate fungi if they are not cleaned after use.
- Size. The size of a steam cleaner can be very large and can be uncomfortable to clean.
- Slow start-up To be able to start the cleaning with the steam aspirator it is necessary to carry out the heating of the water and other functions that require a previous time.
- Change of tank. For the operation of this vacuum cleaner to be correct, it is necessary to change the water tank frequently. A single tank of clean water is not enough for the complete cleaning of a room.
- The prices of the steam cleaner are not usually low, although it is true that we will always be able to find everything, even models that are among the best, but its price is economical.
Many are the people who have never used a steam cleaner. Its most normal name would be steam cleaning machines, but they are commonly known in our country as steam wagons, so we will call them here.
How to Use Steam Cleaner
The steam cleaners for home are very useful not only to end the dirt, but to disinfect. If you want to know how steam cleaners work , today we explain it to you with some of the best models.
A steam cleaner shoots a jet of steam at high pressure on the surface that we want to clean, descaling the dirt. Among its many advantages, the steam cleaner removes dust or dirt particles & deodorizes.
The steam cleaner is able to reach the most difficult places to clean, such as radiators or curtains. Also, you will not find a greener cleaning method , because the steam cleaner does not use detergents or other products; but only water under pressure.
First of all, we want to mention that in the market there are innumerable types of steam cleaners, of different brands and models and each of them has peculiarities in its use.
But, in general, almost all steam cleaners are used in the same way.
They are basically 10 steps that we leave you below.
1. Join the base with the body of the steam cleaner
Usually, these teams come separated. The first thing you have to do is to join the base of the cleaner with the body. Both have to hook perfectly, use a little strength.
2. Add the parts that are necessary
When you buy your steam cleaner, many accessories will be included inside. Each one has a different functioning, for example, there will be some cover to clean the floor, another for the windows and another for the clothes. To add the one you want, first you have to remove the sustained from the base. When you have put the accessory or the case you want to use, it closes tightly the holder.
3. Locate the lid of your steam cleaner and remove it
It is very easy to locate it, it is usually in the center. In some cleaners you have to press and pull outwards. In another one it has to be turned from left to right or vice versa.
4. Pour water into the interior of your steam cleaner
When you buy your steam cleaner, you will get a container where you can measure the amount of water you want to use. These containers are marked with their maximum capacity according to the model.
Use the tap water to put it inside the tank of your cleaner.
5. Adjust the density and / or speed
Steam cleaners are configured for immediate use. They are always at 90 or 100% density. This percentage is perfect for professional cleaning. However, if you require it, you can change them.
6. Plug in and turn on your steam cleaner
Locate the on / off button on your steam cleaner and press it.
7. Wait until the water turns into steam
This usually lasts between 30 and 60 seconds. It is super fast, although it will also depend on the model or brand.
8. Remove dust lightly
Along with your steam cleaner, you have to get a small brush that serves to gently remove dust from the surface you’re going to clean before you start to evaporate it.
9. Run your steam cleaner through the surface you want to clean
Almost all steam cleaners are multi functional and suitable for all surfaces, such as glass, chairs, rugs, clothing, and others.
All you have to do is hold your steam cleaner the way you choose. In some models, the function of cleaning by hand or standing is incorporated.
Then pass your steam cleaner for the environment that you are going to clean, without doing so much force.
10. Turn off and remove the base of the body again
When you are finished, it is necessary to return to store your steam cleaner, this will help to make it much longer.
Tips for a good use of a steam cleaner
Here are some tips to get the most out of your steam cleaner.
- Use the accessories of the product , avoid buying alternate brands. All steam cleaners come with their own accessories; brushes, cleaning covers and other special accessories.
- Use the added accessories to give a better finish. Steam cleaners include some tools that make work easier. For example; Small tubes to clean corners, cracks and difficult places.
- Keep your steam cleaner in a good environment , you have to take care of it so that it lasts a lot.
- You do not allow an inexperienced person to manipulate you. These devices are resistant if they are used properly, however, inexperienced people could inadvertently damage your steam cleaner.
- Beware of leaving on and without water inside. Your steam cleaner could be ruined if you forget to pour water or keep it on for a long time after using it, the appliance will continue to fulfill its function of evaporating, and if there is no water it can burn.
- Remember to leave without water and off whenever you go to store your steam cleaner
- Do not add chemicals in the water.
One warning: make sure your floors are sealed before using a steam mop, which can leave behind moisture that can destroy the finish of a floor and, ultimately, damage what is under the feet. Take special care with hardwood: many manufacturers will void their warranties if a steam mop has been used on these floors. With any floor, use as little steam as possible to clean, and make sure your floors dry quickly and completely after using a steam mop.