Buying the best kitchen trash can from what is available on the market is worth the effort once you have the right information at your fingertips.
With so many trash cans to choose from, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding the best one that suits your needs.
After all, not all trash cans are created equal.
No, not if you have specific considerations that are deal-breakers.
That’s where honest reviews from reputable sources will help. This product review and buying guide has done the leg work for you. So, you won’t need to do so much work to find the garbage bin you need.
Editor’s Picks : Top 5 Garbage Can
Kitchen Trash Can Buying Guide
When buying a garbage bin, the primary consideration is how much waste you and your household produce every day. For large families, the waste is higher than that produced by smaller homes. So, if you are not a single person living alone, a larger waste bin is the better choice.
- Capacity: A typical kitchen trash bin holds around 13 gallons or roughly 50 liters of waste. This type of trash bin is just right for an average household of four or five persons. These kitchen garbage bins are also the right fit for the standard 13-gallon garbage bags. If you also need to recycle your waste, a different type of garbage bin, the one that also has a compartment for recycling, is required.
- Size of your space: Another consideration when buying your trash bin is the actual size of the area in your kitchen. If your space is tight, then a tall, slim garbage bin is what you must use. For wider spaces, shorter containers that are also wider may be preferred.
- Material: Yet another consideration for the perfect garbage bin is the material that it is made of. You have a choice between stainless steel or plastic garbage containers. Typically, a plastic trash bin is lighter. It is also easier to clean and is cheaper on your budget. The main disadvantage of a plastic bin is that it is not as durable as a metal or stainless-steel garbage bin. So, after a while, plastic bins will split or break.
- On the other hand, the stainless steel or metal garbage bin is a little heavier and sturdier than plastic containers. It does not slide around the floor as much as the plastic garbage bin does. Also, the design of these bins is more stylish and complements most home décor. Stainless steel garbage bins are more hygienic and easier to clean. The main disadvantage of metal or stainless-steel garbage bins is that they are more costly than plastic bins. They are also easier to smudge with fingerprints.
- Style of garbage bin: Here’s another option for a kitchen trash bin – the step-on garbage bin. With this bin, you don’t need to handle the lid to open and close it. A foot pedal is available to step on to operate the cover. The step-on trash bin is more hygienic and convenient. Furthermore, kitchen trash bins are designed with lids that operate by a motion sensor. These types of kitchen trash bins are more sophisticated to operate as you move your hand across the sensor to enable the lid to open and close. While the step-on and motion sensor trash bins are excellent choices for your kitchen, other trash bins that have swing lids or no lids are not recommended. Things can get messy with these types of kitchen trash cans.
- Odor control: That said, you would also need to consider the best kitchen trash can that controls odors so that no one can smell them. Different brands offer various options. Whether the trash can is a step-on, motion sensor, or manual, the added feature of odor control is a great benefit. Look at the descriptions on each brand to see how odors are treated. Your kitchen trash can should be able to keep odors from permeating your kitchen and surrounding areas. With a kitchen trash can that controls odors, your home will remain fresh.
Top 10 Best Garbage Can Reviews: Selected for Kitchen
1. iTouchless 13 Gallon Stainless Steel Automatic Trash Can with Odor-Absorbing Filter
Eliminate the smell of garbage in your home with the iTouchless 13 Gallon Stainless Steel Automatic Trash Can (DZT13). Whether you choose to put regular kitchen garbage or use this bin as a diaper pail, you get the same effective odor killing action. No smell is too strong and pungent for the iTouchless garbage bin to contain. Also, you don’t need to handle your trash bin. Thanks to its automatic lid, you can open the container and throw in your trash with a wave of your hand.
With its wider opening, the DZT13 accommodates large debris. Furthermore, the pre-installed Carbon Filter Gate (CFG) absorbs odors, so you don’t have to smell them. Even with the deodorizer, the iTouchless is safe around pets and children. So potent is the deodorizer that it can work for three months before you need to replace it. The DZT13 trash bin is also easy to use.
- Opens the lid automatically, so you don’t need to handle the garbage;
- Controls odors with a natural carbon odor filter;
- Conserve on your energy, use power only as needed;
- Fits into tight spaces as well as corners;
- Can be used with standard 13-gallon garbage bags.
- Batteries may require frequent changing.
2. Simplehuman 45 Liter / 12 Gallon Stainless Steel Semi-Round Sensor Can, Touchless Automatic Trash Can, Brushed Stainless Steel
With the Simplehuman 45 liter/12-gallon Stainless Steel sensor garbage can you can put away your trash and forget the smell. It is designed to fit your home décor, and it is a perfect fit for your kitchen. Anywhere you choose to put the Simplehuman; it will fit very well. Also, the nano-silver clear coating assists in keeping fingerprints and germs off your trash can.
Another feature is the additional space that you get with this stainless steel garbage bin as it does not have an inner bucket. So you can put more garbage and litter with no problems. Also, the liner rim flips down and hides the trash bag and secures it so your dogs can’t get to it.
With its touch-free motion control sensor, you can control the lid to open and close it automatically by waving your hand. At the same time, the cover does not open and close unexpectedly thanks to its smart sensors. Not only is the automatic lid a convenient feature, but it also helps to keep you and your family more hygienic.
- Quick and easy to use; Quiet and smooth operation;
- Easy to clean and does not have gaps or spaces that refuse can get into;
- The battery compartment is located outside, so it is easy to get to for changing batteries;
- The bin opens automatically and easily with the wave of your hand;
- It fits your kitchen’s décor.
3. Tramontina 13 Gallon Step Trash Can Stainless Steel Includes 2 Freshener Cartridges
Keep your trash securely stored away with the Tramontina 13 Gallon Step Trash Can. It is a stylishly designed space-saving garbage bin that fits your kitchen décor. You can, if you choose to, put it in other rooms where it will work just as well.
Not only will your garbage bin keep fresh with the freshener system, but your kitchen and rooms will stay fresh because of the bin’s odor reduction features. The Tramontina Stainless Steel 13 Gal Step Can is made to last. The stainless-steel body also makes it easy to clean. Furthermore, the Tramontina step trash can is resistant to rusting thanks to its stainless-steel body that is also coated.
So, if you are in for a reliable step trash can that will hold as much garbage as you produce in the kitchen and home, then the Tramontina trash can is a choice for you.
- Made of stainless steel that is coated in a satin finish;
- Durable bin that is resistant to corrosion;
- The odor is minimized with its freshener system;
- Hides garbage bag overhand with its trim ring;
- Saves space with its rectangular shape.
- Automatic lid pistons may malfunction if not properly maintained.
4. Simplehuman 45 Liter / 12 Gallon Stainless Steel Rectangular Kitchen Step Trash Can with Liner Pocket, Brushed Stainless Steel
The Simplehuman 45 Liter Stainless Steel Rectangular Kitchen Step Trash Can is the right garbage receptacle for your kitchen. Not only does it have a tremendous capacity to hold as much trash as you throw in, but it also controls odor so no one can smell it. Also, this trash can is suitable for your office, or elsewhere you need to have it.
With its brushed stainless steel finish, the Simplehuman trash can matches any décor. Furthermore, the nano-silver coating assists with keeping germs and fingerprints off the can’s surface. Unlike other trash bins, the Simplehuman has no inner bucket. So, there is more space for garbage. It, however, comes with a recycling bucket that you can use for your recycling. It is easy to take out the full recycling bucket.
An innovative feature is the ‘liner pocket’ which you can store and dispense the custom fit Simplehuman liners from the trash bin. This is a convenient feature that keeps liners at your fingertips. Also, the wide steel pedals are sturdy and built to last for up to 20 years.
- Simplehuman trash can with higher capacity to hold more;
- Designed with an innovative pocket for liners that easily dispenses liners from inside the bin;
- Designed to last a long time, about 150,000 steps or 20 years;
- The lid automatically closes in a slow and quiet motion using its patented lid shox technology;
- Easy to use and operate.
- Is more costly compared to other bins.
5. Simplehuman 40 Liter / 10.6 Gallon Slim Kitchen Step Trash Can, Black Plastic Bin With Secure Slide Lock
The Simplehuman brand is a leader in the production of high-quality garbage receptacles for domestic and professional uses. Its ultra slim design makes the Simplehuman 40 Liter trash can a perfect fit for tight spaces in your home and kitchen. So, if you need to fit a trash can discretely between your cabinets, then this Simplehuman model is the one to choose.
This bin is made of durable plastics that stand up to harsh environments. The Simplehuman step trash can also opens and closes quietly and gently. The Simplehuman garbage cans come with a slide lock that keeps the lid securely closed. It’s not easy for dogs, cats, other pets, and children to mess with it. Furthermore, this garbage bin is hands-free as the steel pedal operates the lid to open and close it.
- Durable trash bin made of sturdy plastics to last for years;
- Bin is secured with a slide lock keeping pets and kids out;
- This bin fits into tight spaces;
- Can is easy to move around using built-in wheels;
- Lid opens and closes silently thanks to the patented Shox technology.
- The pedal may break, leaving the lid hard to open.
6. Rubbermaid 13-Gallon Premium Step-On Waste Bin, Black
If you are a fan of the Rubbermaid brand, then you will love this 13-gallon Premium Step-On Waste Bin offered in black. With this sturdy trash bin, you can dispose of your refuse with ease. It uses a step-on pedal to open and close the lid, so you don’t have to touch it. That said, the bin is also easy to clean, and it does not keep a lingering odor.
Furthermore, the Rubbermaid step-on trash can is easily set up so you can begin using it right away. Your trash bags also fit well inside this garbage bin, and whenever you are ready to take out the trash, the bag is easy to take out.
So if you need a bin that takes your trash and leaves no odor, then this Rubbermaid step-on waste bin is the one for you.
- An easy bin to set up and use;
- Works well to keep trash in and not release too much odor;
- Step-on pedals make it unnecessary to touch the lid to open and close it;
- Designed with premium quality plastic that is also sturdy;
- Standard trash bags fit well inside the bin.
- The rounded push pedal is a little awkward to use.
7. Glad 13 Gallon / 52 Liter Plastic Step Trash Can with CloroxTM Odor Protection
Another great option to choose from is the Glad Plastic Step Trash Can. This garbage bin uses Clorox antimicrobial solution to limit the growth of bacteria that causes odor. Keep your home and kitchen fresh with this trash bin that is designed to control odor as well.
At 13 gallons capacity, the Glad step trash can is big enough to hold most of the usual trash that comes out of your kitchen, home, or office spaces. Furthermore, any trash bag you place inside is kept secure by the bag rings that are built in. On garbage pick up day, the trash is easy to pull out and empty. Also, this trash can is easier to clean out.
- Controls odor with antimicrobial protection;
- Easy to set up and use;
- With the foot pedal, you don’t need to touch the bin while putting in or getting out the trash.
- The Glad step trash bin is just as suitable for families as it is for individual office spaces.
- The pins holding the lid may come loose if not properly checked.
8. Behrens Manufacturing 6210 Galvanized Steel Trash Can, 10-Gallon, Multicolor
You might, however, prefer the sturdier galvanized steel trash can that everyone is familiar with. The Behrens Manufacturing 6210 Galvanized Steel Trash Can is the best choice for yard waste, trash, as well as for storing pet food and seed. It is made of galvanized steel that is not only durable but is odor proof. Furthermore, the Behrens does not allow rodents and other pests to enter it as long as it is securely covered. The bin can also be recycled. Indeed, the galvanized bin is much better than plastic, which is known to absorb odor.
Expect extended use from the Behrens galvanized steel trash receptacle which is made to last for years to come. Furthermore, a convenient design feature is the offset bottom that keeps off the ground (so it won’t rust). Plus, there are the large handles that make it easier to carry. Not to mention, this trash bin holds around 10 gallons.
- It works well as a pet and livestock food storage bin;
- Does not rust easily and is also heat and fire resistant;
- The Behrens galvanized steel trash bin does not fade or crack like plastic;
- Easy to carry around;
- Is not cumbersome to handle.
9. iTouchless 16 Gallon Dual Step Trash Can & Recycle
The iTouchless 16 Gallon Dual Step Trash Can offers both a trash bin and a recycle container at the same time. Equipped with two buckets to serve each function, the iTouchless is a convenient garbage bin for your home and kitchen. The smooth step pedal operates the lid quietly and gently. You won’t hear a noise as you open and close the lid.
Even at your office, the elegantly shaped iTouchless garbage bin can takes care of your trash and refuse. The exterior of brushed stainless steel does not smudge easily. Furthermore, the air damper is easy to replace so your trash bin will perform like new for years to come. Plus, the trap on the side of the lid is there for you to fill with charcoal filters to keep your trash smelling fresh. So, if you are in favour of recycling as well as keeping your home tidy and fresh, go for the iTouchless dual step trash can.
- Separate your trash with this two in on trash bin – one side is for recyclables and the other for garbage;
- The lid closes gently and quietly thanks to its smooth foot pedal;
- Shaped thin and rectangular to take up less space although it has a large capacity of 16 gallons;
- Getting out the trash and recyclables is easy and free of messes as both buckets slide out easily;
- The stainless steel body is smudge and fingerprint resistant.
10. Home Zone Stainless Steel Kitchen Trash Can with Semi-Round Design and Step Pedal
Finally, on this list of recommended garbage bins is the HomeZone VA41305A 45-Liter Stainless Steel Semi-Round Step Trash Can. It is the best way to keep your trash in your kitchen, garage or anywhere in your house. The Home Zone trash can has a capacity of 45 liters within which you can put a standard 13-gallon garbage bags. Also, the Home Zone trash can is designed to fit against a cabinet, wall, or appliance.
With a body made from high quality 430# stainless steel and lid of 410# stainless steel, this garbage bin is designed to be long-lasting and sturdy. You don’t need to use your hands to open and close the lid. Using the precision pedal, the lid closes slowly and stays open long enough for you to put in or take out the trash. Also, the odor control pod that is built into the unit helps to keep smelly odors under control. Furthermore, the rubber feet at the bottom keeps the bin from moving unnecessarily on the floor.
- Ideal for your kitchen, bathroom, home office and anywhere else you want to put this bin;
- Bin is designed to protect against rust, and growth of bacteria;
- Conveniently dispose of your garbage using the sleek yet sturdy pedal and a stay-open lid;
- The bin is easy to clean and maintain; odors are controlled for a fresh smelling environment.
- The dimensions are length 18.30 inches by width 15.94 inches by height 26.4 inches.
- The plastic hinge holding the lid in place tends to break within a short while. It is not easily replaced.
What size is a typical kitchen trash can?
- Typically, a kitchen trash can has a capacity of 32 gallons. It has a height of around 44 inches. This kind of garbage bin holds several full kitchen trash bags. If you live in a small house that does not have much space outside, this type of garbage bin is the right size. For larger areas, it is best to purchase a garbage bin that is two times the size. As long as it has a secure lid, you can place that trash bin outside as well.
Why Use Trash Can?
- Trash cans are useful to keep home garbage, yard waste, and other debris under control. These receptacles are convenient to use in the kitchen where you are most likely to have waste. Depending on the type of trash cans, you can also use them in your garage, home office, and any space in your home you need to collect trash. Another reason to use trash cans is to control odors. Particularly, trash cans that are designed to control odors are quite useful to have around the house. Not only will you keep your home clean and free of waste, but you will also keep your environment smelling fresh.
How to clean trash can
Cleaning your garbage can is very important if you want your home looking and smelling fresh and clean. Here are the steps you need to clean both your indoor and outdoor trash cans.
First, the indoor trash can:
- Empty your trash can;
- Spray your all-purpose cleaning solution on the exterior of the bin. You could also prepare your homemade mixture of a tablespoon of dish soap and enough warm water in your spray bottle.
- Spray the interior of the garbage can with the same cleaning solution. Ensure that you soak every section of the inside, paying attention to any stubborn garbage stains.
- Deodorize your bin. You can use around a ½ cup of baking soda to thoroughly sprinkle on the inside walls and bottom. Let the mixture sit for 5 – 10 minutes to deodorize the trash can.
- While the inside is deodorizing, use a clean cloth or rag and wipe the outside of the garbage bin in an “S” pattern.
- Use a durable sponge to scrub inside your garbage bin thoroughly. Don’t forget the lid! Pay attention to any hard to remove residue to scrub more vigorously.
- After scrubbing, rinse with a garden hose, or under running water.
- Use an absorbent cloth to dry your trash bin completely. For stainless steel bins, go for a streak-free shine.
- A handy tip is to line the bottom of your garbage bin with crumpled newspaper to help absorb garbage fluid and keep odors down.
- It is recommended that you give your garbage bin a thorough cleaning at least two times per year – during the spring and in the fall.
To clean an outdoor garbage bin requires slightly different steps. Once the garbage is collected, you can begin by preparing your homemade cleaning solution with vinegar and dish soap in a spray bottle.
Use a three-phase approach to spray your garbage bin outside and in. Apply the first coat of spray solution and allow to soak for five minutes. Do this again twice. After fifteen minutes of your solution soaking in the bin, fill the bin with warm soapy water, and use your sponge or scrubbing brush to scrub your container thoroughly. Finally, hose away the sludge and let the bin dry.
Now that you have seen how much you need to consider when buying a trash can for your home or kitchen, getting started should be easy. The information offered in this review and buying guide will help you to zero in on the best kitchen garbage can that suits your home. No doubt, you will find the right garbage bin that will keep your home fresh, is easy to handle and use, and is not a hassle to have around. A durable and sturdy garbage bin is also one that you will enjoy for a long time. Otherwise, look for a garbage bin that you can replace without hurting your budget.